Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 3 - Amsterdam

I'm behind, I know!

So day 3 I was supposed to be on the 8:20 bus so I could get to Amsterdam to meet Ryan, but I missed by about 10 seconds...so I had to wait the 30 minutes for the next bus. I texted Ryan to let him know I'd be late and to come later. Well, when I got to Amsterdam, it was the exact same time I had gotten there the day before, even though I took a later bus.

Train station in Amsterdam

 So I took some pictures of the train station and then there was a beautiful cathedral near so I walked over to that and took some pictures of it.

Amsterdam Centraal Station (it was beautiful!)

Cathedral outside of the Centraal station. Love how the houses are just right on either side =]

Some of the detail of the cathedral

Then I took the tram to meet Ryan. We then walked to the Amsterdam Historical Museum. I didn't know really what to expect at the museum. We were going because it was free with our museumkaart =] It turned out to be a great museum! I really enjoyed it! It showed all about the history of Amsterdam, and while it really was geared more towards Dutch speaking people (all the explanations of the exhibits and such were in Dutch) it was still really interesting and I very much enjoyed it! After that we went over to Dam Square and walked around. The palace is at Dam Square, but it was closed =[ Sad day. We had pizza for lunch at this great little Italian pizzeria. It was sooooo good! We were super happy =]

The palace at Dam Square

Me at Dam Square

Street performers at Dam Square

Ryan at a statue across from Dam Square

Darling Chinese boy chasing the pigeons =] (I used my Chinese to talk to his mom and ask to take the pictures =] That was fun!)

Me at the statue

Delicious pizza for lunch! (I forgot about taking a picture till after we'd started eating =] )

After lunch we walked to the Jewish Historical Museum, which I very much enjoyed! (If you can't tell, I have this thing for Jews and World War II...I very much like learning about those topics). The museum was an old synagogue and I learned a lot more about the Jewish Religion because I really didn't know too much. After that, I wanted to go to the theater where the Jews were deported from. It wasn't too far from the museum, so we set off! Well, for some reason, it was a lot harder to find and we kept getting lost! But, we saw a lot of neat bridges and buildings and we came across an outdoor market in the process (I thought I had pictures of it...but maybe not), so it was a lot of fun! The downside was, once we did find the theater, it was closing in five minutes =[ Sad. But I will (did) go back to Amsterdam next week and see it and the Photomuseum and the Anne Frank House again. After that I decided I should head home so I could go out to dinner with my friends to the beach =] After I got off the train in Leiden, I saw that I had just missed the bus. Of course. Twice in one day! But I made it back in time to go out to dinner with them. It was so much fun! We had dinner on the beach, and I had scallops with a curry sauce. Very, very yummy!

Ryan walked through my picture, looking very confused.

A memorial related to the Holocaust

Another cathedral. I more just love how the picture turned out =]

The beach!! And the restaurant is right there =]

The town that is right there on the ocean =]

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to see that you are getting pictures of yourself in your countries. As I go through my pictures for my personal history of living in England I am taking all the pictures and I am not in very many of them. Especially at the well known sights. It makes me sad. But my sibs are in them. They will enjoy seeing themselves.

    ReplyDelete