Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 10 - The Hague

So this morning, I went to school with the family I was staying with (they are teachers at the American School of the Hague). I was given a tour and got to observe one of their technology classes that the wife teaches. I loved being able to see her teach, and getting to see the classroom structure at ASH. Afterwards I got to meet the middle school principal (both the husband and wife of the family I was staying with are middle school teachers). The principal is great and I really liked her. She gave me her business card and basically said to contact her when I have my teaching license and she’ll see what she can do! So I’m very excited and am thinking maybe I will teach middle school (though I still really like high school…) but I will be going back to the Netherlands when I finish school! I fell in love with it and I really liked ASH and I LOVE Holland and will live there someday =] After my tour around the school I was off to The Hague. The real reason I wanted to go to the Hague is because the LDS temple in the Netherlands is The Hague Netherlands temple, so I assumed it would be in, The Hague. But it was actually in Zoetermeer, but I decided to go to The Hague anyway because of the Mauritshuis, which houses the painting by Vermeer, The Girl with the Pearl Earring. I really enjoyed the museum, and they have free audio tours, and I heard the kids one was really good. So I listened to that one, and it was really good! It gave just enough information and it was done in a really fun way. I saw the painting I wanted to see, and that was really neat to see it.

The Mauritshuis

After the museum, I walked through the palace that was next door, and found me some good street food (I love eating the street food, or eating at the really small snack places; best food!) Then I made my way back to the bus station and headed home. I wasn’t gone too long, and I like being back home for dinner. So that was my day!

The gate to the Palace courtyard

In the courtyard

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do go back to the Netherlands to live. Then I will have a place to stay when I venture out again.

    ReplyDelete