Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 12 - Delft

Day 12 was a Saturday, and so the family I was staying with wanted to take me to Delft, a super cute city about 30 minutes from their house. This is also where the artist Vermeer lived and painted, which was why I was super excited to go. So we got there, and since they had already done everything in Delft, they went and just relaxed and hung out, and I went to the Vermeer house, the Old Church and the New Church. I loved going through the Vermeer house and learning more about his life and his paintings.

Vermeer House

They had a little set up of one of Vermeer's paintings where you can place yourself in the painting, but since I was alone, there was no one to take my picture, but this was the set up. Looks pretty real right?

 I then went to the New Church, which is where a lot of the coronations and burials for the royals in Holland happen and then I went to the Old Church where Johannes Vermeer is buried. That was incredibly neat; I really enjoyed that.

His grave


The bell tower of the New Church

Inside the New Church

Me outside the New Church

Another cool thing about the old church is that its steeple/bell tower is leaning! So that was cool to see.

The Leaning Tower

Me with the Old Tower, that leans =]

The Old Church was also closing for a few hours for a wedding, and while I was in the Old Church, the bride and groom had gone to the town hall in a carriage, but sadly I missed it. I would have loved to see her dress. That was all we did in Delft, but I very much enjoyed it and it was just super cute and quaint. When we got back to Wassenaar, we walked to a petting farm to enquire about something, and then went to a goat farm to get some goat milk cheese. I very much enjoyed the walk to these farms as we got to go through beautiful green pastures and it was just very picturesque. That night we had smoked lamb for dinner, which was incredibly delicious! I hadn’t had smoked lamb before, so I really enjoyed that!

No comments:

Post a Comment